Sunday, September 30, 2012

The progress towards my next freshmen orientation is coming along very well. I am making connections at work that will ensure the next orientation comes together better and we will have a much larger turn out.  There was miscommunication with my first installment of the project. The administrator I was working with to set everything up changed the details a week before we were putting it on. She made it part of a Summer Bridge program that was going on in order for students to regain credits.  We did have those 200 kids go through the orientation, but that’s not a very good turnout considering there are 700 freshmen this year. I want to make it mandatory for students to attend the orientation in order to get their schedules for the next year. Some of the teachers that I invited changed their minds or something came up the day before the event. The teacher/coach/club sponsor turnout was good besides the cancellations.  I am using all of the feedback that I got from the first event to engineer the next orientation into something that I will be much prouder of and hopefully see better results from.  A huge problem this year was also the conversion to a 9 period block schedule as opposed to the 8 period schedule we had been used to. The counselors were way behind on schedules and we were short two counselors as two quit or moved over the summer. These were all problems that I hadn't foreseen or known about since I was on a road trip during the summer break. I have big plans for the next orientation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment