Thursday, June 7, 2012

6/7/12
What have you learned about action research?
I have learned that there is a big difference in action research and a regular research project. Action research is a lot like a science project. You start out with a hypothesis or a topic that you want or need to research, conduct the study and report your findings.  The difference is that the action research results must now be used to implement a change to the current status of the subject that was studied. I have also learned from the text for this class that the work life of a principal is oftentimes lonely since they are the only one on their respective campus with that position.  The use of action research plans can help the principal to get involved with other principals and exchange insight on what is happening at their schools and get advice on your plan.

How will you be able to use it?
I will be able to use the action research model to work collaboratively with my online colleagues in this class because we will be checking each others research plans and commenting. It's interesting to see what matters to your future colleagues value now as important.  I know that I chose my topic to research (Effects of State Testing on SAT scores in Texas) because that is one of the issues troubling my coworkers and myself at the moment with the recent release of our school's STARR scores.  In a few years, who knows what will be the most important issue to us? One of the other Lamar students is doing hers on the multiplication tables and how students can't memorize any more. Another student is doing his on the effect of no athletic period at his school.  I will also be able to get back into college mode again.  It was always really interesting to me in college when I had to go to the library and check out Psychology journals to do research on different cases we were discussing in class. It makes me feel like a gumshoe!

How might an educational leader use a Blog?
An educational leader could use a Blog to inform parents and students of what is going on and new at school each day/week/month.  It would be like a school website, but more personal since the principal is personally writing it. This would also make the principal more personable in some ways to parents and students.

1 comment:

  1. Two ingesting points you made:
    1. Comparing the action research project to a science doroject...hadn't thought of that and
    2. The collaboration of principals...if they both are having the same difficulty, they could easily collaborate and address issues at both campuses.

    ReplyDelete